Leap Day gives me some extra time to thank everyone who makes our literacy work pop!
I recently had the proud opportunity to summarize our accomplishments – any and all of which only happen thanks to the incredible and MAGnificent support we get from you, our stakeholders – the volunteers, businesses, consumers, and literacy programs who help support our passion for literacy and help us to get wonderful magazines into the hands, homes, and hearts of new readers.
- Together, we have founded and operate MagazineLiteracy.org the first and only global magazine industry-wide literacy project for children and families.
- Our mission and passion is to build an enormous literacy pipeline and to challenge the citizens of the world to fill it with magazines.
- We are changing the world, one magazine at a time, by tapping and celebrating the unique power of magazines as a literacy resource for at-risk children and families across the U.S. and around the world.
- We are assembling partnerships throughout the magazine publishing and technology industries and beyond to create a vibrant online literacy marketplace where any consumer or business can send and any literacy agency can find new and recycled magazines for moms and kids in homeless and domestic violence shelters, domestic violence shelters, youth mentoring programs, job training programs, and to kids in foster care.
- We are organizing thousands of volunteers in hundreds of community and campus teams to collect and share wonderful magazines to support family literacy.
- We sent 40,000 surplus children’s magazines to all Head Start programs in Mississippi after Katrina.
- We match businesses to send magazines to children and families in community literacy programs.
- We inspire magazine readers to share the wonderful magazines they love with children and families hungry to read.
- We are creating a lean, but vast supply chain necessary to support magazine literacy logistics on a global scale.